I know Cinco de Mayo was a week ago, but let’s be honest…guacamole is good any time of year. And this Grilled Veggie Guacamole is a fun twist on a classic.
My whole life my Grandma has had huge avocado trees in her back yard which means there is guacamole at every family get-together. And even though I was the pickiest of picky eaters as a kid, and wouldn’t go near an avocado, at some point I finally saw the light and realized how amazing avocados are. And let me tell you…no one makes better guac than Grandma.
So every time I make guacamole I try to live up to “Grandma standards”.
Between the charred veggies and added cumin, this guac takes on a little bit of a smokey flavor, that I promise you won’t be mad about.
|PREP TIME||COOK TIME||TOTAL TIME||SERVES|
|2 Mins||8 Mins||10 Mins||4|
- ⅓ red onion, sliced in 2 rounds
- ½ jalapeño, sliced down the middle
- 2 avocados
- 1 lime, juiced
- ½ tomato, diced
- a handful of cilantro, roughly chopped
- ½ tsp. cumin
- salt and pepper, to taste
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- Heat grill or griddle over medium-high heat. Spray with non-stick spray and add onion and jalapeño and grill for 2-3 minutes (or until there are grill marks) and then flip. Cook for an additional 2 minutes. Remove from grill to cool. When cooled, dice veggies.
- Add avocados and lime juice to a bowl. Mash avocados with a fork. Add onion, jalapeño, tomato, and cilantro to the bowl and stir to combine.
- Add cumin, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes and stir to combine.